Her car, whose tyres were bad, skedded on the wet road.
- Mệnh đề quan hệ không xác định cung cấp thêm thông tin về người hoặc vật được nói đến.
Ex: Peter, who spoke French well, offered to interpret.
- Giữa danh từ/ đại từ và mệnh đề quan hệ không xác định có dấu phảy.
- Mệnh đề quan hệ không xác định là thành phần có thể lược bỏ trong câu.
Ex1: Fill in the blank with the correct relative pronoun.
1. There are eighteen different kinds of penguins ______ live south of the equator.
2. Thank you very much for the present ______ you sent me.
3. This is Mrs. Jones, ______ son won the championship last year.
4. His girlfriend, ______ he trusted absolutely, turned out to be an enemy spy.
5. The bus crashed into a queue of people, four of _______ were killed.
6. A man bought in a little girl, ______ hand was cut by flying glass.
7. Mary, ______ boyfriend didn’t turn up, ended by having lunch with Peter.
8. He paid me $5 for cleaning ten windows, most of _______ hadn’t been cleaned for at least a year.
9. In prison they fed us on dry bread, most of ______ was moldy.
10. The chair in _____ I was sitting suddenly collapsed.
11. The bed ______ I slept on has no mattress.
12. The man _______ I was waiting for didn’t turn up.
13. The student with ________ she was dancing had a slight limb.
Ex2: Put a tick
if the relative pronoun in the following sentences can be deleted, and put a cross
if it is not.
1. We lit a fire, which soon dried out clothes.
2. The report, which should have taken an hour and a half, took three hours.
3. The children who I was looking after were terribly spoilt.
4. She thanked him for the kind help that she received.
5. There wasn’t any directory in the telephone box from which I was phoning.
6. The man who was driving us didn’t know the way.
7. The Smiths, whose house was destroyed in the explosion, were given rooms in the hotel.
8. The car which we hired from the airport broke down on the road.
9. My boss, who I really wanted to see, was too busy to meet anyone.
10. Mr. and Mrs. Jones, who were out playing cards, knew nothing of the burglary.
Ex3: Combine the following pairs of sentences, using relative clauses.
1. Mr. Smith said he was too busy to speak to me. I had come specially to see him.
2. I missed the train. I usually catch this train.
3. I saw several houses. Most of them were quite unsuitable.
4. This is a story of a group of boys. Their plane crashed on an uninhabited island.
5. He introduced me to his students. Most of them were from abroad.
6. He expected to pay me $2 for 12 eggs. Four of the eggs were broken.
7. She climbed to the top of the Monument to see the wonderful view. She had been told about the
8. I was given this address by a man. I met his man on a train
9. A man answered the phone. He said Tom was out.
10. The bar was so noisy that I couldn’t hear the person at the other end of the line. I was telephoning
from this bar.
11. At 6.00 thick fog descended. 6.00 was an hour before the plane was due.
12. I’ve just spoken to Sally. She sends you her love.
13. I waited for him until 4.30. At that point I gave up.